Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dressmaking fun

I actually ended up having quite a productive day. Bindi was home sick, and the dress is for her, so I took her measurements and cut the dress out that I bought fabric for the other day.

This is the dress style:


I'm making the long pink one, but it's pale green instead.

I weirded Bindi out by sitting there on the floor cutting (we have a floating floor which is excellent for cutting) the dress out, listening to Orthodox Chant, and singing the Trisagion:
Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal have mercy on us
and absentmindedly putting the scissors down to cross myself each time.

My family already think I'm mad though, so that's alright!

The dress is mostly done now. The bodice was fiddly, but I got it done, and it's all done except for the gathers at the bottom which join onto the midriff section and the zip at the back, which I'll put in when the dress is sewn together since the zip goes down into the back of the skirt. The skirt itself is done too, just needs to be gathered at the top to be joined to the bodice and hemmed at the bottom when it's done - they say to hem it before you join the pieces, but I can't see the sense in that - how do you know how long to hem it?

Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow, and I can fix the gathers on my green dress and hem it and the purple one and I'll be pleased. My godsister wants me to make her a medieval dress too, so we're going to Spotlight soon to grab fabric and a pattern and I'll make it up. If other people comment on it and she mentions that I made it, maybe a few people might pay me to make them one...we'll see. It'd be fun to be paid to do this!

Either way, I see a lot of dressmaking in my future. Embroidery is wonderful, but it's so much fun to watch something come together this quickly.

My parents and I went to dinner tonight at my favourite pasta place in North Adelaide, where I got my favourite - again - pasta, their Zingharella which is wonderful. Chilli and honey butter sauce and prawns... yum. I had a really good chardonnay with it, which was nice since I never order wine when I eat out. I'm glad I did, it was delicious. Tonight was a beautiful mild night, and we sat outside.

I've come home to crash now though. So, so tired. I think I'll say my prayers soon and sleep.

No comments: